Youth Performance Program
UTSA Campus Recreation's Youth Performance Program helps bring young athletes closer to their goals. This 4-week program can benefit sprinting, change of direction, body control, and jumping skills, components of most sports. Many youths also need guidance to learn how to train versus exercise. There are two sections of the camp to choose from – June 5 to June 30 or July 10 to August 4.
Learn more and register below.
Registration Deadline: May 29 for the first section
July 3 for the second section
Days: Monday / Wednesday / Friday
Time: 7:45am – 10:00am
Length: 4 weeks in mid-summer (6/5 – 6/30 or 7/10 - 8/4) – a total of 12 meetings with 24+ hours of training
Maximum Enrollment per section: 20 Athletes (ages 12 to 17)
All coaches conducting the camp are U.T.S.A. Campus Recreation nationally certified personal trainers.
The Lead Coach
Derrick Jenkins, M.A., C.S.C.S., M.S.C.C., S.C.C.C., U.S.A.W.
- C.S.C.S. - Certified Strength & Conditioning Coach through the N.S.C.A. (National Strength & Conditioning Association)
- S.C.C.C. - Strength & Conditioning Coach Certified through the CSCCa (Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association)
- M.S.C.C. - Master Strength & Conditioning Coach through the CSCCa (Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association). More than 12 years as a full-time collegiate strength coach
- U.S.A.W. - Certification from the U.S.A. Weightlifting denoting coaching knowledge to instruct the Olympic lifting movements
- Program Coordinator, Strength & Conditioning, U.T.S.A. Campus Recreation (Aug. 2019 – Present)
- Asst./Assoc. Director of Strength & Conditioning, U.T.S.A. Athletics (Nov. 2006 – July 2019)
- Assistant Director of Athletic Performance University of Montana (Sept. 2004 – Oct. 2006)
- Graduate Asst. Strength Coach at Central Michigan University (Sept. 2001 – May 2003)
- Minor League Strength and Conditioning Coach with the Kansas City Royals (Mar. 2001 – Sept. 2001), Milwaukee Brewers (Mar. 2000 – Sept. 2001), and Toronto Blue Jay (July 1997 – Sept. 1997)
Things to Know
Things to Bring: Water and Running Shoes
Things to Know:
Meet at the front (South) entrance of the Campus Recreation building at 7:45 AM.
No open-toed shoes are allowed in the weight room.
No cleats or open-toed shoes are allowed in the weight room.
Parents are welcome to watch the running. Parents are not permitted in the weight room due to a lack of space.
Insurance: Each camper must provide their accident insurance. Campers are encouraged to have a physical before participating in the camp.
Payment: To secure a place, a deposit of $150.00 is due with registration. The balance is due before check-in on the first day of the camp.
Upon receiving your registration, you will be sent a confirmation letter by email with camp details for the first day.
Cancellation / Refund Policy: All refund requests must be made in writing. Your camp fee will be refunded (minus a $50 non-refundable administrative fee) if you cancel at least two weeks (14 days) before the camp start date. Between two weeks before registration and the first day of camp, refunds (minus the $150.00 administrative fee) will be made for medical reasons only. A signed document from your doctor must accompany them. After the first day of camp, NO refunds will be issued.
For any additional information, please call or email:
"I wanted to thank you and UTSA for holding the camp this summer. Alicia has followed those workouts religiously this cross-country season and just adding weight to the reps. Today she’s running in the state meet for the first time as a sophomore and has accomplished her goal. Looking forward to another camp this summer."
- Candice, parent of Youth Performance Program Participant